Top Tips: Preparing for the UKSG Conference, April 2019
The UKSG Conference is always an exciting event for ALF as it gives us direct access to the publishers – an ideal opportunity to tell them exactly what we want in terms of online access for alumni. Hopefully you or some of your colleagues will be able to attend. So get your banners ready, as here are our top tips for being battle-ready for 8-10 April…
- Make a plan of which publishers you want to target to request alumni access. This list should include the big four:
- Taylor & Francis
Even if you are not yet in a position to set up alumni online resources yourselves please do ask them why they don’t even offer the option!
- If you can’t attend (or maybe negotiating with publishers just isn’t your cup of tea) make friends with someone who IS going and see if they would be happy to ask the question for you. Especially useful are your library e-resources staff, as they may well already have appointments with publishers to discuss your library subscriptions. Remember if your licences are up for renewal, or you are contemplating a trial of a new resource, you are in a much stronger position to negotiate.
- Please take copies of our vendor flyer with you to help start the conversation and to raise awareness with publishers on the work of ALF and that there is a lot of interest from university libraries in this area.
- If you want to see which online resources are already licensed for alumni please check our list in the Help Sheets section of the Members Area. Not an ALF member yet? Sign up free today.
- Some of our lovely ALF Committee vendor members will be at UKSG – look out for them on their vendor stands. Our chair Rachel Daniels is very happy to meet up for a chat. Please email her direct or send her an invite through the UKSG app.
We look forward to seeing you there, and hearing about your experiences!